Alcohol and other drugs

Supporting someone who has an alcohol or other drug dependence:

Caring for a family member or friend who has an alcohol or other drug dependence can be tricky. You might experience things such as:

Frustration, guilt, anger, stress, hopelessness, and even shame or stigma from others.

It’s important to know that you’re not alone and there is support available for you.

What you are doing is a really important job.

As much as you try to encourage a person to look after their health, you can’t change their actions and behaviours, only they can do that. One of the best things you can do is seek support for yourself.

If the person you are supporting is in an emergency situation:

  • call 000

Other resources include:

  • Alcohol Drug Information Service (ADIS) 24/7. Free confidential support for people with alcohol or other drug dependence. 1800 250 015

  • Statewide AOD Helpline. Information, referral and counselling. Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm. 1800 161 266

  • The Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs Council Tasmania have a great service directory resource:

Care2Serve can provide support such as information, referrals, and counselling. Find out more.

If you would like Carers Tasmania to help advocate for your needs, you can safely share your story here:

Get advice

Our friendly, knowledgeable staff are on hand to help you work through the emotions and challenges carers face every day.

Carer Support

Our local support programs connect you with local staff, other carers, groups, events and activities.


It’s okay to need a break from the demanding role of being a carer. We can help you to explore options and plan flexible respite.


Talking to a counsellor can help you explore ways to deal with complex situations, and to balance caring with the rest of your life.

Go to Top